RGNUL, Pro Bono Club, Transgender Colloquium, Legal Aid
Pro-Bono Club, RGNUL cordially invites you to a symposium on “‘The right to identity of LGBTQ+ people and gender fluidity’ as part of the Pro Bono Club Scheme, an initiative of the pro bono legal services of Nyaya Bandhu du Ministry of Justice and EBC-SCC online as Media Partner.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Law University, Patiala (RGNUL) is a National Autonomous Law University (NLU) established by the RGNUL Act (No. 12 of 2006) passed by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Punjab, in the part of the second wave of reforms instituted by the Bar Council of India. Founded in 2006, RGNUL has earned a pan-India reputation as a stellar institution for legal research and education. In May 2015, RGNUL became the first and only NLU to be accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an “A” grade. In March 2018, RGNUL was among four NLUs to be granted autonomous status by the University Grants Commission.
The University has been ranked among the top 10 law schools in India in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
ABOUT THE PRO-BONO CLUB
Pro Bono Club established under the ‘Nyaya Bandhu’ program by the Ministry of Justice, which aims to instill in young students a responsibility towards the community, so that they continue to offer Pro-Bono services to the unassisted and underprivileged of society, would also be inaugurated. The Pro Bono Club (PB club) program was conceptualized to strengthen the existing pro bono program, bringing law schools and students into its fold. The main objective of this program is to improve the efficiency and quality of pro bono legal services by providing assistance to pro bono lawyers through competent law students.
The objectives of the programs are: (a) To improve the efficiency and quality of pro bono legal services by providing research and writing assistance to pro bono lawyers through law students, (b) To instill young legal minds the philosophy and understanding of pro bono free legal aid to marginalized communities by addressing issues faced by members of these communities, (c) Build pro bono advocates for the program by tapping into its network of alumni , and, (d) Helping to reach out to marginalized individuals through grassroots outreach activities in collaboration with non-governmental organizations in their respective fields.
ABOUT THE RGNUL LEGAL AID CLINIC
RGNUL Legal Aid Clinic was established in 2011 under the District Legal Services Authority. The clinic tries significantly to bring about a change in the social, political and legal perceptions of the community through its initiatives. Various projects like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, Legal Counsel, awareness camps, legal and digital literacy programs, promotion of sustainable agricultural practices, adoption of villages near the University, promotion and defense of women’s rights and children, participation in Lok Adalats, etc. The volunteers of the clinic have undertaken various projects in the villages adopted by the clinic concerning surveys to understand the problems faced by the residents, the creation of a water recharge system in the government school of the village, the promotion of mensural health and hygiene among women, organization of free health camps for villagers, organization of vaccination camps for city residents, cleaning of water bodies, approach of district administration to problems encountered by the villagers, association with retirement homes, project collaboration with various NGOs for the rights and safety of children and many others.
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM
The colloquium is organized in reference to various initiatives taken by leading universities in making the campus ecology favorable and open to the accommodation and participation of trans people. At RGNUL, we would like to push this lighthouse further and be part of these initiatives and innovations. “LGBTQ+ Right to Identity and Gender Fluidity” is the theme of the symposium, where experts will discuss the importance of self-acceptance and the idea of gender neutrality in the law relating to sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Ms. Kanika Jamwal, she has completed her Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Public International Law from the London School of Economics and Political Science, London. Her research interests include national, international and transnational environmental law, climate change and gender justice. At Jindal Global Law School, Kanika teaches courses on public international law, environmental law and climate change. She will talk about the idea of gender neutrality in the Workplace Sexual Harassment Act.
- Mx Dhananjay Chauhan, trans woman and Punjab University’s first transgender student, didn’t just defy gender norms in a hyper-masculine setup. They have also reshaped the education system in the Punjab region by opening the doors of the University of Punjab to transgender people.
- Ms. Kanmani R is a trans woman, she is currently a Research Associate at the Center for Justice, Law and Society (CJLS), Jindal Global Law School, Sonipat. She is interested in working around issues of health, access to education, public transport and housing in the context of gender and sexual minorities. She often speaks about the Transgender People (Protection of Rights) Act 2019 as well as broader issues around trans people and the law.
- Mr. Maninderjit Singh, a part-time English teacher, believes that everyone has the right to live, to feel accepted, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Reading literature and watching movies best define his areas of interest. It will cover topics on the importance of self-acceptance and having an out-of-body experience through reading queer literature.
Inauguration of the Pro Bono Club: The Colloquium would also mark the inauguration of the Pro Bono Club in the gracious presence of Prof. (Dr.) GS Bajpai, RGNUL Vice-Chancellor, Prof. (Dr.) Anand Pawar, Registrar RGNUL and resource persons from the Ministry of Justice.
KEY EVENT DETAILS
For any other questions regarding the event, please contact the undersigned:
- Mr. Pranav Tomar, Student Leader (7793845455)
- Ms. Dikshi Arora, Student Coordinator (9024559982)
Or by mail to: [email protected]